Thursday, December 01, 2005

It's my "Office"

You know how they promote the guy who doesn't care anymore? Well, that is me today. I checked out of this job a long time ago. And today, I just got promoted.

The only thing has kept me going are the amusing games I play. My favorite is: "How fake can I be?". I measure the success of this game on how much I can smile, nod and act like I'm interested in everything My Boss (MB) is saying and subsequently, how much (MB) likes me. It's a pretty fun game and I get really excited when MB says things like "I really love working with you" and "You are a great asset to the team". Scoring goes like this:

1 pt: A Smile, Nod, or anything in agreement with MB.
3 pts: A smile or nod in return from MB; a "You're great...No, you're great...No, you're great" scenario.
5 pts: When another team member notices/comments on how great we get along.
7 pts: When MB explicity states what a great attitude I have.
10 pts: When I officially get recognized for all of my hard work. Yay, reward me!!

I think it is so ironic that you can get ahead just by smiling and nodding. Is that all it takes? Does the work I do really matter? Well the answer to that is clearly NO as evidenced by the following game:

"How little work can I do and still get by". Scoring is easy here.

1 pt: Not doing something I am told to do.
- 2pts: When whatever I didn't do backfires and I have to do it anyway.

So far, I'm in the black.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I love that you love!