Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Blind Date

Ok, so tonight I had probably the 3rd blind date of my life. He was a nice guy, recommended by my dear friend Match, but the chemistry just wasn't there.

A couple things came to light for me while spending an hour and fifteen minutes at Cafe Ladro this evening. First, you can't predict, write down, evaluate, or anticipate chemistry before you meet someone in person. You can't assume, want or beg for chemistry to happen. And you can't mistake a nice smile, good job, common chivalry or picking up the bill for chemistry.

Second, I'm totally closed off to people without relevance. I met this guy and he had no context, no relevance, to my life. Yea, I liked his resume, but that's irrelevant. There are a lot of guys out there who fit the bill for the must have's and must not have's. Relevance to my life is supreme. Kind of like when you do a search... if it's not relevant to your intent, then it is useless. Every single person I've ever dated I met through a friend, school, work, the name game, the neighborhood, an unlucky cancelled flight, a trip, a shared tent... the list goes on. We made it past date one, two and three because our relationship was relevant independantly to each of our lives.

The guy tonight didn't have a chance even before I ordered my peppermint tea. It's too bad because he's a nice guy and if I got to know him a little better, I would probably set him up with one of my friends. Because in that case, he would be completely relevant.

No comments: