Monday, May 21, 2007

7 Hill of Kirkland

Today I did possibly the hardest ride of my life - the 7 Hills of Kirkland. And, I didn't even finish it. Five was the magic number on the rainiest day here in the last 2 months. First, there was Market Hill. I rode up it fast, it was a breeze. Natala was behind me and we were flying. That is, until we came to Juanita - the first point in the ride when I actually thought I might die. I got that heavy, hurtful feeling in my chest, like I really shouldn't be working this hard. I don't train for triathalons or any race for that matter. I like leisurely exercising (although I have to say that pushing it to the limit is totally exhilerating).

Third was Seminary Hill. I actually didn't really notice the climb because it was short and gradual. But then, then there was Norway. Not only was it long, but it was steep. And when I thought I'd arrived at the summit, that was only a teaser. Because I had another mile to go, with practically a straight vertical incline. At this point, yes, I really thought I was going to die. And the pinnacle of the climb was a lone jogger, who passed me about halfway up. That means I was likely going less than 6MPH. UGGH!

My last hill was Knightsbridge (or is that a tube stop in London?). I had to walk at this point and decided that the final two hills were not in the cards today. Afterwards, I found a cozy spot by the fire and waited for Natala, hard core athlete that she is, to finish her ride and Kelly, friend extraordinaire, to pick me up.

So will I do it again... probably. I can't turn down a challenge. Next time though, I'm doing the 6th Hill.

3 comments:

Natala said...

Next time we're doing all 7! And i'll be faster and you'll be stronger and we'll have more gu! :) Seriously -- you rocked it jen. you are i think a natural hill climber! first lance, then jen :)

twellve said...

btw, your profile says you're in NY still, 'jenny'. :)

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.